Monday, June 29, 2009

BIG Little Love Notes

If you have ever walked into a room and felt like nobody noticed or that you really are not important, then you have never had the privilege of knowing a little lady by the name of Faith Wilmore. Faith was a student in the preschool class at Grace Christian School. There was never a day that I didn't feel important upon her arrival. She would find me, give me a hug and tell me something new or exciting. O.k. sometimes it was just to show me a dog on her shirt or a new outfit, but it was always with the importance on me. She could, nonetheless, try my patience on days and I would wonder what in the world to do. When I took my first trip to Africa and was out of class for two weeks, she was curious to know why I had to go and would ask me on several occasions. I told her that there were little boys and girls in Africa and they needed to hear about Jesus. I also told her that I love them just like I love her and I would go to Africa to tell her too, if she were there. That was all she needed. The days up to my trip would be full of love and concern about my trip. She came in one day that was assigned to be her "show and tell". It was supposed to fit in a bag that we sent home with all the children. Well, Faith felt this could be overlooked because of the importance of what she needed to show. So, in she walks with her light up globe. She wanted to be sure that the children in her class knew exactly where Mrs. Smith was going. With her parents help she had learned where she lived on the globe and how to show us where Zambia, Africa is located. Somehow, I knew no matter how important or unimportant my trip was to anyone else, there would be a little prayer warrior at home on my side. When I returned to school after my trip and everyone was saying welcome back and hugging, it was Faith who ran up and said, "Do all the little children know who Jesus is now?" Taken aback, I was silenced, almost in tears as she hugged me and told me she missed me. I cannot tell you how overjoyed I was to receive the above note after being in Zambia just a short while. This note is above my nightstand and no matter how difficult going out to teach the children may be on days, I am reminded of Faith and her question. To my Faithie: keep praying and I will keep telling all the children that I meet. To the readers: if you ever have the chance to meet this young lady, you will be blessed, but be careful, she'll steal your heart.

1 comment:

Rhonda Wilmore said...

Amy: Thank you so much for your sweet words about Faith. She truly is a joy and inspiration - every day! I've printed this out to take home and read to her and then to keep in her album. You said things about her that I could only wish would be said about me too!

Today was the 1st day of school! She woke up at 4:15 a.m. wondering how many more minutes before she could go to school! She is so excited that she will be in the BIG school this year and in Kindergarten!

Thank you for the huge impact you made on her life. She speaks of you often and asks when she will be able to see you again. She wants to make you something else too - so be on the look out!

Thanks again.
Love and prayers,
The Wilmores