Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kasenya Ngusulu and one of his many guitars
fashioned from a 10 ltr oil container and wood.
If you have ever met this young man, you are most likely never to forget him.  He, and you are welcome to quote me, is the most genuine, sincerest, humble, gracious, and kind young men I have ever met.  He is the oldest of the Ngusulu siblings.  He is 18 years of age now and in Grade 12 at Kaoma High School.  His ingenuity has always delighted me.  His humble spirit, I have always admired.  I have been thankful to share in his life and he in mine and my family.  I have had the privilege to watch him live out a life before God and man in truth and honor.  Often he is quiet in the presence of adults and only speaking if spoken to or if someone needs assistance, but has much to say if given the opportunity.  He is humorous and gracious all at the same time.  Being the oldest of the brothers in his family, he stayed in the small house next to ours with the other brothers.  It was just a room that was used as the kitchen and as the boy's house.  One of my many fond memories of Kasenya is one of the many times I went to the door and knocked only to have Kasenya come to the door with Coke bottle-caps pinched into his eyes, looking like he had red bottle-caps for eyeballs, and smiling from ear to ear.  Another is one that includes my children.  He is ever watchful for their welfare and safety here in Kaoma.  We were attending a funeral of a member of a dear family to us.  It was such a very hot day here in Kaoma and we needed to walk far into the bush for the burial.  We had already been busy the entire day helping with the funeral and waiting at the home with the family.  Evie, not being to partial to the hot sun in Africa, was already tired for the day and we still needed to walk to the grave.  We had not been in Zambia long and she still had trouble keeping herself hydrated.  When the time came to leave for the burial, I was busy getting the family and the church choir into the truck with the coffin.  By the time the truck was loaded and Mike pulled away, I realized that I was alone and that Evie and Tyler had left with Melody and Reuben for the grave.  I wasn't concerned for their safety because the Ngusulu's consider Evie and Tyler family and treat them as such.  As I walked and walked into the bush in the hot sun, I began to worry about Evie and trying to do get there at this time.  I was so exhausted from the heat and the day filled with such great emotional stress.  I could only imagine how Evie was feeling and dealing with the same.  When I arrived at the burial site I looked over and realized she appeared to be doing okay and just a little flush.   Later, when we returned to the funeral house, Lulu, Kasenya's sister, and I were sitting and chatting about the day.   She expressed that they were worried for me after the truck arrived at the grave and they realized that I had put the family members in the truck and walked.  They realized that I was alone and walking.  They were happy when I arrived.  I just smiled and expressed how I had been so concerned for Evie the whole time I was walking.   I said, "I do not know how she made it this far in this heat!"  Lulu smiled and with a slight grin and quiet voice said, "It was Kasenya.  He carried her the rest of the way."  Evie was 8 years old and though she was just a thin little thing, I knew that wasn't easy for Kasenya.  
There are too numerous of stories to share about the spirit of this young man.  He does all things well.  I could only hope for those who read this that they may have the privilege of meeting him some day.  

No comments: