Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Luena

My favorite picture of the Luena! Down the road from my house is a well-known river, The Luena. That is pronounced LOO-WAY-NUH. Its face changes all throughout the year from the rising with the rains to the shallow of the dry season. I love to stand on the bridge above it or sit on its edge and watch the people that dwell near and around it. Many times it is a laundromat and at the same time a car wash. It is a definite source of fishing for all ages, but mainly young boys who you will find standing in its shallow depths and some even out to their chests just to see what might be for dinner. Women will cast any kind of nets available to also bring in something for a meager meal. I never get tired of its amazing changes from the time of day you find yourself standing beside it or what season we may be sharing. I am always thoughtful as the year passes of the places I have tramped that will be covered with water before the year's end. Such and amazing landscape! There are no crocodiles in this river to anyone's knowledge, but who could really ever know what a river holds.

1 comment:

hthrnleh@gmail.com said...

I very much wish I could go to Zambia..but this gives me extra enjoyment of your blogs. Thank you.