Thursday, February 19, 2009

HOW MANY MISSIONARIES DOES IT TAKE TO . . .

Take care of one big whiny newbie. Haha. Well, sorry folks for the delay. Mama Bear was down for the count yesterday. On Monday started what I must refer to as a ritual in my life. The pain starts around the outside corner of my eye and travels up and to the back of my neck. Many of you who know me well, know I am not referring to Mike. I had a headache on Monday. Nothing too unusual until Tuesday morning around 3:00 a.m. (Africa) when I clenched my head and starting crying. The pain was the worst I have felt in some time. So many of you have prayed for me throughout the years that I hate to even mention the fact that they still happen at times. I now understand that the malaria meds only increase the intensity. To comfort my Mama and those who love me like a Mother, please know that God has put me amongst some of the greatest caregivers. Mike was quick to act, when there are tears, he is moving. He began talking to many of the Missionary ladies here and didn't stop until he came home with some solutions. Everyone was very concerned and have been diligent to check on me routinely. The Lord is always faithful, though it seems we are losing control. He is in control and knows what we need even when it hurts or does not make sense. In my pain, as many of us do, we cry out to God to help. Thoughts were running through my head about the pain those around me feel inside their lives, hearts, minds. Pain that no time, meds, or doctor can repair. All that I can tell you is that I thank God for the headaches (I can say that today, after it is over) for they come and quickly (by eternal standards) go, but the lost around me are bound for eternal torment. What is a headache compared to that and what is a taste of torment to spurn me on to share the gospel. So on to better things. We have our national registry cards. There is a story in every task you tend to here in Zambia. I will have pictures this evening as I know most of you are looking only to see my children. (I say that in a pouting manner) Just kidding. I love you all and ask for your continued prayers, yes, even if it brings on a headache. Pray for the millions of Zambians. I wish you could see the eyes that I look into everyday.

1 comment:

Alison said...

The Smith Family - so glad to hear that you are there and have settled in. We are praying for your family each night and will continue to do so. Amy, if you are the one reading this I am the 'Alison' who went on a mission trip with your church about 3 years ago. I live in GA!
Anyway...all is good here. I do have a prayer request for ya'll too. We have been made aware of a little girl who was adopted to the US from Guatemala about 4 years ago. Her family no longer wants to keep her. While it was unexpected (isn't that how God works) we are considering making her a part of our family (though there is another family considering taking her too). However it works out, pray for Katherin in NJ. She is 11 now.
I am keeping up with your journey. God bless you all and I am glad to know you made it safely.
The Hair Family